The Art Gallery is a free public facility open all year round, it is visited by 92,000 people annually.
The Gallery houses a collection of paintings, sculpture and decorative arts. The building was designed in 1897 by a Scottish architect, John McKean Brydon. To celebrate Queen Victoria's sixty years on the throne, it was decided to name the Gallery after her.
The Gallery opened to the public in 1900. A year later, a monumental statue of the Queen was placed in a niche above the Bridge Street entrance, paid for from funds raised by the women of Bath.
The oil paintings in the Gallery's collection date from the fifteenth through to the twentieth century. Among them are works by painters who were active in the area, including Thomas Gainsborough, Walter Sickert and J M W Turner.
The decorative art collection ranges from delicate eighteenth century wine glasses to a wonderful array of over 150 china dogs.