Please wait while iPIX loads. Once
loaded, hold left mouse button and drag arrows to look
any direction. Right click to zoom or restart the spin.
the image? Click here >>
Lyme Park was the family
home of the Leghs for 600 years, until it was taken over
in 1946 to be owned by the National trust and part-financed
by Stockport Borough Council. Within the private gardens
Lyme Park estate has an Orangery built by Wyatt.
Lyme Hall is part sixteenth,
part seventeenth, and part eighteenth century and is the
largest house in Cheshire. The grandeur of the interior
includes ceiling paintings by Leoni, a substantial collection
of English clocks, priceless Mortlake tapestries, as well
as plaster casts of Greek friezes showing battle scenes,
brought here by Thomas Legh, and Grinling Gibbon's woodcarvings.
Impressive gardens and parkland which hosts red and fallow
deer, as well as a sunken "Dutch" formal garden
The surrounding parkland
is nearly 1400 acres and gives good views of the Pennine
Hills and the Cheshire Plain.